About the Site
Creative Thinking for Writers is an online site dedicated to the favorite class I’ve taught many times over the last 20 years: Creative Thinking for Creative Writers. There is so much more information out there than I can provide in a 45-minute presentation or an 8-hour weekend writing workshop. Creative thinking is a lifestyle with ever-changing challenges, opportunities and resources. And Creative Thinking for Writers is designed to be that ongoing learning environment to get the most out of that lifestyle.
You will learn amazing facts about books and authors, where good ideas come from (whether they are story ideas or scientific or medical breakthroughs), interesting facts about creative people, how to get rid of writers block, how to improve creativity, and much more.
In addition, Creative Thinking for Writers showcases the advantages of creative thinking within the writing process. It will serve as a repository of creative thinking tools, techniques, skills, and examples that can be applied to the writing process.
Whether you are an accomplished freelance copywriter, or a novice writer beginning your first novel, Creative Thinking for Writers is the site for you.
How this Site Works
The content on this site is designed to keep you going throughout the week while providing themed content to help organize the content.
Kick off your week right with a swift kick in the ass to get you energized and engaged with your latest creative project. Typical content to appear on a Motivational Monday might be:
- Inspirational quotes for writers
- Stories and fun facts about creative writing/famous authors to inspire you
- Simple creativity/writing tips and tricks to try
- Engaging creative writing exercises
Provides creative thinking tools, tricks and techniques guaranteed to get your creative juices flowing and/or address specific writing challenges. Basically this is a giant cesspool of concepts, subjects and thoughts that just won’t fit anywhere else. Content you might see on a Technique Tuesday:
- Useful creative writing tools or resources to try and how they make the creation/writing process easier.
- Creative thinking tips from other professions/areas of interest that may help you become a better writer or creator.
- In depth original articles about the characteristics of creative thinking and writing that focus on a specific technique or action you can take to generate more creative ideas, break through writer’s block, resolve challenging problems through creative problem solving techniques.
This is the day where anything goes. Anything can happen on this day, some examples of the type of content you might find here include (but is not limited to) the following:
- Answer reader questions
- Share news about a creative breakthrough in my own work
- Review a book, tool or resource related to writing or creative thinking
- Provide an opinion about something interesting going on in the world, which might be writing/creative thinking related, but maybe not…
- Link to interesting websites, resources or articles I’ve stumbled upon recently
Fearless Friday is another mashup of content designed to get you motivated and keep you writing throughout your weekend. Some of the content you may see on a Fearless Friday:
- Provocative Phrase Friday — Random words and phrases, given first lines, and in-depth creative writing exercises to provoke a spark for your weekend to get you and keep you writing.
- Provocative Photo Friday — If a picture is worth a thousand words, than a provocative photo should be good for at least 5K.
- Fantastic Friday — Weird random shit I discovered that may interest or motivate someone.
- Weekly Creative Challenge — Provides a creative challenge to undertake over the next 7 days… with published results from the previous week’s challenge. (Maybe this can have a prize associated with it.)
I encourage you to comment and share your experiences here on the blog as well as feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you might have.